lunedì 20 aprile 2009

IPR and plagiarism: first step!


Hello everybody!
Did you enjoy your Easter Holidays?
This time I would like to talk with you about IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) and plagiarism. We usually don't pay a lot of attention to this matter, but actually being able to avoid plagiarism and respect IPR is really important. So first, I would like to share with you some information about IPR. As you can see on Wikipedia there are different types of IPR: you're probably familiar with copyright and trademark, but maybe you don't know anything about trade secrets or patents. I think these concepts are a good starting point in order to improve your knowledge of the problem. If you want to know more about IPR I suggest you visit the WIPO Website: here you can find detailed information about IPR and an interesting pdf. about what IP actually is.
Now I would like to focus on the practical aspects of this matter: how can we respect IPR when writing? When using a source - for example in an academic paper - we should consider that the text we are referring to is a work of art and a creation of mind. For this reason, it should be properly cited in order to avoid plagiarism. Plagiarism.org is a very useful site. Here you can find information on different types of plagiarism and on copyright laws, but most of all you can find important tips on how to avoid plagiarism when writing a paper and on how to make a good citation.
As far as I'm concerned, this point is fundamental: I'm not able to cite the sources I'm referring to in a proper way, or better, I don't use a specific style. This is something I should work on since I will have to write my final thesis. I suggest you visit this page from the Cornell University Library website where you can find a detailed description of the MLA Citation Style together with useful examples of it.
Hope I offered you an inspiring overview of the problem!
See you soon!

Elisa

1 commento:

  1. Hi!
    You did a good research, and found many sites about IPR, and, for example, I liked the Cornell University page. But what about you? I only know you are a bit worried about how to cite e source, but what do you mean? Maybe, citing and plagiarism ar two linked things! :-)
    As for your English, there is nothing to say, it is clear and good!
    See you soon
    s.

    RispondiElimina