domenica 5 aprile 2009

ARE YOU SERIOUS?


Hi guys!
How are you?
I'm a little bit sad today because it's raining... I want the sun!
Anyway, this time I would like to share with you my impressions on an interesting and important aspect of the Web: the reliability of information.
When Sarah presented us this topic I suddenly thought about online resources. I almost always take for granted what is written in a 'traditional' book - it's published= it's true! - so I never thought about its reliability... I promise I will be more critic from now on...
On the contrary, reliability is an fundamental aspect of online resources. Just think about Wikipedia: everybody can publish or edit an entry... Even I - IO, ICH, YO, JE, WO - edited an entry, and of course I'm not what we can call an expert... You see how it is important to be able to evaluate the information you find on the Web.
When looking for online information I think it is important to evaluate and to check the following aspects:
  • Who is the author ( his/her job, previous articles...)
  • The domain ( .edu, .org...)
  • The genre of the text (article, dissertation,...)
  • The contents of the website and its layout (too many emoticons, advertisements...)
This is just what I think can be useful to get a general idea about the reliability of a source, but Purdue's Writing Lab and the website of University of Essex can help you with more useful and specific suggestions on how to evaluate an online resource. It is something everybody should be able to do if it is necessary to be sure of the reliability of a text.
Last lesson I also started to use Google in a more conscious way. I discovered Google Scholar, Google Books and Google Blogs. In the first one you can find online articles, dissertations, academic texts... It is very useful if you want to write your final thesis! Google Books helps you find the book you need; sometimes you can also read an abstract or a part of the text. Finally, Google Blogs helps you find interesting blogs in the jungle of the blogosphere. For example, I came across with The Bamboo Project. I suggest you visit this blog because it is a clear example of an authoritative blog... Blogs can be SERIOUS ;-D !

See you next week for another technological adventure!

Elisa

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Elisa!
    I agree with you and I also think that we always tend to consider online information and resources trustworthy! But we have to pay attention, as the University of Essex says and follow some basics.
    as for your English, I think it's clear, so what else...
    See you next week! :-)

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hello Elisa!
    I usually make your same mistake: it's published= it's true! :-)and so I don't worry about reliability and all this sort of things. As for the web, this is of course a more tricky question. The short list you wrote is certainly good. I didn't know, like you, about the existence of google blogs, books and scholar. This will be a great help for our thesis: the search for the material will probably get a little less frustrating!
    See you tomorrow!
    Francesca

    RispondiElimina