venerdì 8 maggio 2009

A beacon in the dark...



Hi all!
How are you?
We're almost at the end of this course and I have to admit that I've learned a lot! I've been reflecting on interesting things and learning how to use the different tools the Web provides.

On the other hand, I've rarely considered what happens to the info I put on the Internet. Yes, I know I shouldn't put personal info such as address and phone number and I have a good antivirus and firewall to protect my pc, but I've nevere really thought about this problem.

What struck me most was reading about Facebook Beacon. I didn't know anything about that and I was almost shocked by this way of using Facebook users' information. I'm a proud owner of a Facebook profile :-D but I thought it was pretty closed... Now I know that they're able to register my purchases or activities in other websites and publish them as a News Feed in my Facebook profile! I suggest you read this article because it's really illuminating!

Of course the solution is not to avoid using the Internet! I guess it would be almost impossible for me :-D! What I think is important is to start using it in a critical way. We should always consider some aspects:
  • Be sure you have a good anti-virus and an active firewall to protect your pc;
  • Don't publish personal information (numbers, addresses, credit card numbers...) on the Internet - be careful with Facebook...
  • Always evaluate online resources. It is important both for research but also for protecting your personal information ( think about e-mail spoofing or phishing...).
Again, I suggest you read this site about identity theft.

Well, I think that's all for now! Have a relaxing weekend!
See you next week!

Elisa


2 commenti:

  1. Hi!
    it was nice to work together in the lab, and I think we found some interesting things! ;-)
    But, one thing is talking about pc security and one other is talking about privacy. I recognize that, sometimes, they can overlap, but maybe not in this case. Infact, a good anti-virus won't prevent you from receiving unexpected ads, info, other unwanted requests. Infact, as we have seen, Facebook Beacon is an online tool able to register our online movements starting from our Fb account, and it works even when we're off.line! :-(
    So, I think that what we need is to use properly our online spaces, and if you take a look at my blog, the last post is about something curious happened not long ago...

    See you!
    x

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Elisa,
    as Sarah said, it was nice for one time working together and talk to each other instead of always communicate virtually!
    It is true that when using the Internet we dont'y pay much attention to our privacy. For example, some weeks ago I was looking for an apartment for my holidays; every time I had to send a request to the owners I had to fill in a format with my personal data, including my phone number. I think i sent at lest 20 requests...now I wonder where my personal information is and who owns it! This is just a silly example to say that by now we use the Internet for several different purposes. This is why being prudent and attentive when using it should become a habit or even instinct, like when we cross the road: we stop, look right and then left.

    I found no mistake in your English :-) so see you soon!

    Francesca

    RispondiElimina